Zimmerman celebrity boxing packs no punch

February 04, 2014, 2:41 PM GMT+0

Most Americans think it isn't appropriate for George Zimmerman to participate in a celebrity boxing match, and the vast majority of the country isn't interested in watching it.

George Zimmerman has found himself in another controversy after announcing his plans to participate in a celebrity boxing match in early March of this year. Is has been less than a year since Zimmerman was cleared of murder in the 2012 Florida shooting of black teenager, Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman's legal troubles didn't end there, however, as he was charged in a domestic violence dispute with his girlfriend in late 2013, when he allegedly pointed a shotgun at her face. His girlfriend later asked police to drop the charges.

According to the latest YouGov research, most Americans (52%) think that it is inappropriate for Zimmerman to participate in a celebrity boxing match, while less than a third (29%) consider it appropriate.

Women, people in the South (both 57%), and Democrats (69%) are the most likely to think that it is inappropriate.

Zimmerman has said that he would like to fight rapper Kanye West, who was recently in the news for allegedly hitting someone who shouted a racial slur at his fiancé Kim Kardashian. Though West has not replied to the invitation, singer DMX, and Michael Lohan – the father of actress Lindsay Lohan – are among the several thousands who have requested to fight Mr. Zimmerman in the March 1st fight. The match is intended to raise money for charity, but the charity that would benefit from the fight has not yet been specified.

Despite the celebrity and media attention given to Zimmerman's challenge, 88% of Americans are not interested in watching the fight. That leaves little more than one in ten (12%) who might tune in to watch.

Young people aged 18-29 are the most interested (22%) in watching the fight.

Opinions about George Zimmerman

Most Americans (55%) have an unfavorable opinion of George Zimmerman. Democrats (76%) are the most likely to dislike George Zimmerman, Republicans (45%) and Independents (45%) also both tend to hold unfavorable opinions of George Zimmerman.

Full poll results can be found here.

Image: Getty

Join YouGov today! Your views can shape the news..